This March 20th seminar focused on legal issues associated with hiring new employees, and covered the following topics:
- Designing executive compensation and employee benefit programs to attract and keep employees.
- Drafting and negotiating offer letters and employment contracts that comply with employment, tax and benefit laws.
- How to properly document hiring needs.
- How to draft a lawful “want ad”.
- Legal requirements for job applications.
- How to conduct lawful background checks.
- An overview of notice and enrollment requirements with respect to employee benefit plans.
- The intersection of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the hiring process.
- The Maryland New Hire Registry.
- Complying with various reporting requirements (such as I-9s and W 4s), including Affordable Care Act and various other employee benefits reporting requirements.
A PDF of the seminar handout can be downloaded here.