Clients & Friends Seminar(s) 2019
As many of our seminar attendees have noticed, and thanks to the support of those attendees, we have outgrown the BWI Marriott for our annual Clients & Friends Seminar. Therefore, for 2019, we have decided to host a series of smaller, break-out seminars – covering the same topics – throughout the year. Each of these seminars will have a much more limited list of topics and will run for 2 hours. (Of course, the accumulation of these seminars will equal the scope of our past “mega-seminars”.) We’re hoping that narrowing the topics of these individual break-out seminars will also make it easier for potential attendees to allocate their “continuing ed” time to topics of direct interest to them.
We’re going to kick-off this new approach with the first seminar taking place on January 30, 2019, from 9:00-11:00 a.m. in the Merrick Lecture Hall at Goucher College, located at 1021 Dulaney Valley Rd, Baltimore, MD 21204. Parking will be available in the Dorsey Lot, directly adjacent to the Merrick Lecture Hall. This January 30th seminar will focus on legal issues associated with hiring new employees, and will cover the following topics:
1. Designing executive compensation and employee benefit programs to attract and keep employees.
2. Drafting and negotiating offer letters and employment contracts that comply with employment, tax and benefit laws.
3. How to properly document hiring needs.
4. How to draft a lawful “want ad”.
5. Legal requirements for job applications.
6. How to conduct lawful background checks.
7. An overview of notice and enrollment requirements with respect to employee benefit plans.
8. The intersection of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the hiring process.
9. The Maryland New Hire Registry.
10. Complying with various reporting requirements (such as I-9s and W-4s), including Affordable Care Act and various other employee benefits reporting requirements.
Space will be limited for each of this year’s break-out seminars, so please contact Courtney Carr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-321-9000 if you would like to reserve a spot for January 30, 2019.